It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Not about toys- But about the Blade films
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:23 am 
Daniel Pickett

I saw this last week in Variety-

Snipes throwing legal blade at 'Trinity' team

Thesp accusing NL, others of contract violation, racism

Actor Wesley Snipes has sued New Line Cinema, writer-director David Goyer and Toby Emmerich, executive producer of "Blade: Trinity," in a wide-ranging federal lawsuit seeking more than $5 million in damages.
In a suit filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, Snipes alleges that in violation of his contract, the director, screenplay and supporting cast of "Blade: Trinity" were forced on him. He also claims he's still owed a portion of his fee and that he was harassed and defamed because of his race. New Line declined to comment.

Goyer penned all three "Blade" scripts. According to the complaint, however, Snipes had concerns about him directing the third film in the trilogy and was not informed until six weeks before filming began that Goyer would direct. Similarly, he was not given an opportunity to object to the "juvenile level of humor" in the screenplay and the change in focus from the Blade character to two sidekicks. Snipes claims the real purpose of "Blade III" was to set the stage for spinoffs featuring other cast members.

Snipes blames Goyer for the critical response to the film, citing reviews describing Goyer as a "disastrous choice" and calling the film a "bloody mess." Film, released last December, has grossed $52 million at the domestic box office.

In money terms, Snipes alleges that he is still owed over $3 million on his fee. Furthermore, Snipes claims that because he was employed by a Swiss loan-out company and the movie was filmed in Canada, he should have been exempt from tax liability. But New Line withheld income taxes and failed to cooperate in obtaining a tax indemnity from the Canadian government. Snipes has had well-publicized tax problems in the past.

Snipes also claims that in contrast to the first two "Blade" films, in which efforts were made to select a multiracial cast and crew, defendants intentionally hired only white people, leading to feelings of isolation and exclusion by Snipes.

He also claims that Goyer made racially motivated statements about Snipes being unprofessional and difficult to work with, and that Goyer refused to discipline a crew member who wore a racially discriminatory T-shirt on the set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:03 am 
Fugitive Dust

It's clear that from press reports and interview excerpts from the past few years, Wesley Snipes has clearly gone completely insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:07 am 
ABS

I've been following this for over a month....Before the lawsuit.........Snipes is egotistical and greedy......And I believe him to be a bigot and a racist...He's a good actor, but as a person severly lacking.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:40 am 
shirtless hugger

Always thought Snipes was cool... .. . But which actor isn't greedy? I hope it isn't true that he is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:43 am 
5" Scale

I think the problem is Snipes acted with Sean Connery in Rising Sun, not to mention he's a talented actor. The reason I mention Connery is that he has a similiar reputation of being difficult actor to deal with and I think that rubbed off on Snipes a bit. My wife and I went to the movies and saw this. While I enjoyed it and thought it went great with the rest of the movies, my wife thought it was loud and had too much unnecessary language :lol: Now my wife is in no way a prude, but given what I just read above, I can see more where she was coming from. Like I said, love what he brings to the films. But off screen, he does come off as a a**. I remember being concerned about it when I read in Wizard that they used his double in some scenes because he was being difficult. I think the problem is these actors start buying into their own bs. Then everything becomes a issue. I don't think it was a bad movie and hopefully there will be a spin off of the Nightstalkers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:47 am 
Fugitive Dust

It's not just stories of him being difficult, either. There was actually an incident on Blade Trinity, that noone wants to discuss officially but it came from multiple sources in the production, that at one point Snipes got into with screewriter/director Goyer (who he has a substantial working history with), and actually grabbed Goyer around the throat, prompting Goyer to have security around him for the duration of the shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:00 pm 
Fugitive Dust

From a AICN report by Moriarty...

Recently, I had an opportunity to talk to someone close to the production about this movie, and I got an earful. This movie’s generated a fair amount of tabloid fodder (and, yes, the reports of Snipes attacking and choking his director onset are true, as are the reports of said director showing up with giant biker bodyguards for the rest of the shoot)

And...

Snipes didn't surprise Goyer. He declined to detail the star's notoriously bad behaviour but stories about Snipes' partying, carousing, fights, tantrums and tardiness were legendary on the set.

"I am going to try and be as diplomatic as possible," says Goyer. "There has always been drama on the Blade films and this one was no different. We prepared for drama . . . and there it was."

Will he work with Snipes again?

Long pause.

"Yeah," says a resigned-sounding Goyer.

Yep - ol' Wesley's nuttier than a fruitcake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:54 pm 
shirtless hugger

http://kezi.com/content/contentID/6346

Quote:
Halle's Abuser
Thursday, January 15, 2004 12:15 PM

Wesley Snipes is being accused of causing Halle Berry's hearing loss.
Christopher Williams, a former lover of the Oscar winning actress, has named Snipes as Berry's abusive ex who struck her so hard that she lost most of the hearing in her right ear. Williams says that he has come forward because he is tired of people assuming that he was Berry's abuser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:18 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Snipes has always come off as a pompous, arrogant jerk, and, apparently, he frequently confuses his paycheck with his "talent."

Judging by all of his performances I've seen, he's little more than a good martial artist, and even that's a stretch. But he has the ego of someone far more gifted-- the Brandos, the DeNiros-- and then some. He must have been completely unbearable on set.

It's no coincidence that this lawsuit is filed just weeks after his widely reported money and real estate problems. Honestly speaking, I hope he never sees a dime and that the lackluster performance of Blade Trinity is one of many failures that send this hack to the poorhouse, where he should've gone 10 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:23 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

so...did anyone buy the DVD today?
(like this news is all coincidence, ri-i-i-i-ight! :wink: )

WM has a special "exclusive" 2pak with soundtrack, and there is also the Blade Trilogy DVD set.

btw, anyone else think Wesley is now the poor man's Denzel?
(cuz he popped the "serious actor" 'tude after Malcolm X, yet still continues to work)

Have YOU taken The Julius Marx Karaoke Challenge?