Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:55 am 
PVC

I blame them all for being STUPID!! I don't care what that does to their poor little feelings....there is no excuse why ANY figure can't be made in a line.. What does it matter if the character is on another show.. If you make good toys of the said character, PEOPLE WILL BUY IT!!!!

It's IGNORANT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:30 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

FYI:

From today's "Lying in the Gutters" (Rich Johnston's rumor column):

Quote:
Oh and can someone please find out why Warner Bros Animation won't allow a Hal Jordan figure in the JLU line. I'd look into it but... well... you know. It's dolls.

And he links back to the main page here. Interesting.

Davy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:36 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

We ask Mattel, so that Mattel knows that the demand hasn't wavered or subsided. Mattel then asks the dopey decision makers over at WB if Hal is a go, and WB has to hear the pleas once more again...which is only fair.

No asking equals a perceived lack of interest by the fans in general. Not asking is letting the people responsible for shortsighted decision making to get off scott free.

If WB doesn't like to be asked, then they had better get over it already. WE buy the toys, and WE decide what WE want to see...or, at least, we make it known at every opportunity.

To quote Gene Wilder-Wonka, "We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams."

As a fan of all things DCU related, I can tell you this much: I don't give a rat's arse about any so-called reasons or hesitations given by WB Animation on the lack of a Hal in the JLU line. It's what I want as a lifelong DCU fan, and as a lifelong action figure collector, and that should be good enough. He's in the dang Battle League, and he's in the The Batman line, and Mattel has even put him in those dopey super-deformed "extreme to the max!" weirdo versions of the Justice League, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the DCSH lineup soon, so...

Why the hell NOT in the Justice League Unlimited lineup? When Coca-Cola changed their formula for Coke(New Coke) the public spoke up about it, and made them switch back. Because the public made it known that New Coke was crap! Well, this member of the JLU buying public is always going to be quite vocal about the lack of a Hal in the JLU line.

No Hal = New Coke. A JLU Hal = Coca-Cola Classic...the Real Thing!
:D

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:39 pm 
Tis' but a pup

It seems to me that Mattel is just making excuses. They made this cool Hal Jordan figure for their "preferred" clients/customers/etceteras. --And those "preferred" guys know that they have something that no one else in the world has OR can get hold of without one of us fanboys spending an INCREDIBLE amount of jack to pry one away from those insider guys.

If they make a Hal Jordan available on the mass market, it devalues the gift that was given --and could pleeple off these insiders.

So, Mattel, just come right out and say it!!! Just say "Hey, we know you want Hal, but we did something special for some of our special people and we dont want to upset the applecart."

While that will tick off alot of us fanboys, it wont cause us to jump ship. We're too invested in it by now anyways.

Say it Mattel!!! Just come right out and say it!! Quit saying "maybe, if someone else says it's okay." --Cuz that someone else is probably one of those blokes that already has a HAL and I'll give you three guesses as to what they're gonna say......a big EFFIN NO.

Late

Double D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:26 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

"It was in the contract" is not an excuse. It's a legal reason. They re-explored if that changed after the license expanded, but the answer was the same.

WBA is just holding Mattel to the contract they signed, nothing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:34 pm 
categorically opposed

Dvalin Dredd wrote:
It seems to me that Mattel is just making excuses.

And you've gotten confirmation on this from someone directly at Mattel?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Seriously, they've been so candid about everything else with this line (how it's a budget line, why they can't do Lobo, etc.), why would they lie about this? Or make excuses about it? They have absolutely no good reason to.

And do you really think that those "preferred" customers give two $hits about their "ultra-collectible" Hal Jordan? Nope. Most of them are probably completely unaware of how much it pissed off (some of) an entire group of collectors. They're not trying to scalp their Hal to pay for their kids' college educations.

I think the whole "it'll be worth something someday" thing died in the '90s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:08 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Dvalin Dredd wrote:
It seems to me that Mattel is just making excuses. They made this cool Hal Jordan figure for their "preferred" clients/customers/etceteras. --And those "preferred" guys know that they have something that no one else in the world has OR can get hold of without one of us fanboys spending an INCREDIBLE amount of jack to pry one away from those insider guys.

If they make a Hal Jordan available on the mass market, it devalues the gift that was given --and could pleeple off these insiders.

So, Mattel, just come right out and say it!!! Just say "Hey, we know you want Hal, but we did something special for some of our special people and we dont want to upset the applecart."

While that will tick off alot of us fanboys, it wont cause us to jump ship. We're too invested in it by now anyways.

Say it Mattel!!! Just come right out and say it!! Quit saying "maybe, if someone else says it's okay." --Cuz that someone else is probably one of those blokes that already has a HAL and I'll give you three guesses as to what they're gonna say......a big EFFIN NO.

Late

Double D

The only problem I have with your post is who you're blaming.

It's NOT Mattel. They're on our side on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:23 pm 
Brand Manager

Howard the Duck wrote:
We ask Mattel, so that Mattel knows that the demand hasn't wavered or subsided. Mattel then asks the dopey decision makers over at WB if Hal is a go, and WB has to hear the pleas once more again...which is only fair.

No asking equals a perceived lack of interest by the fans in general. Not asking is letting the people responsible for shortsighted decision making to get off scott free.

If WB doesn't like to be asked, then they had better get over it already. WE buy the toys, and WE decide what WE want to see...or, at least, we make it known at every opportunity.

To quote Gene Wilder-Wonka, "We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams."

As a fan of all things DCU related, I can tell you this much: I don't give a rat's arse about any so-called reasons or hesitations given by WB Animation on the lack of a Hal in the JLU line. It's what I want as a lifelong DCU fan, and as a lifelong action figure collector, and that should be good enough. He's in the dang Battle League, and he's in the The Batman line, and Mattel has even put him in those dopey super-deformed "extreme to the max!" weirdo versions of the Justice League, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the DCSH lineup soon, so...

Why the hell NOT in the Justice League Unlimited lineup? When Coca-Cola changed their formula for Coke(New Coke) the public spoke up about it, and made them switch back. Because the public made it known that New Coke was crap! Well, this member of the JLU buying public is always going to be quite vocal about the lack of a Hal in the JLU line.

No Hal = New Coke. A JLU Hal = Coca-Cola Classic...the Real Thing!
:D

I totally agree! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Collector wrote:
SDComics. Do you think it would be possible to suggest to ToyGuru to see if the Question or Captain Atom could be SDCC exclusives like Grundy so that the royalities could be covered by the extra charge. I would be more than willing to pay $30 + dollars for each just to get them and they wouldn't be mass marketed. Just wondering....it would be a great promotion for the rebranding in 2008.

Sure. Go ahead and make that suggestion. He's still around so he'll see your post.

Mattel's negotiations with Warner Brothers for the license to the Charlton characters is still ongoing, so I think they're probably going to wait and see how it all shakes out before there's any talk of exclusives. Captain Atom and the Question were such a big part of the show that I'm sure they'll want to get them mass marketed if they can.

JQ3x29yz4a wrote:
Howard the Duck wrote:
It never hurts to ask, and it certainly helps if it is made known that we fans want those figures, brainless DC/WB suit decisions or not.

I completely agree. What's preventing Hal from being made is legitimate and final -- but final isn't always final :wink:

It doesn't hurt to ask -- but I'd keep it polite, and not so often as to clutter up the boards. Being loud about it only brings out the anti-Hal crowd, the threads get locked, the H word gets banned -- and the Hal haters sit back and smile because they "won" :wink:

QUOTED. FOR. TRUTH.

SpyMagician wrote:
Heck, DC told fans for years that Hal would NOT return as GL, but after a good 10 years of asking it happened anyway.

But in all honesty, the only reason Hal's back as GL is because there was a change in leadership at DC Comics. Mike Carlin is no longer executive editor, Denny O'Neil retired and Kevin Dooley is no longer with the company.

SpyMagician wrote:
At the end of the day this whole forum is about our opinions. I'm not going to self censor. If the mods want to ban me, edit me or reinstitute the "NEVER MENTION HAL JORDAN AGAIN" rule that's fine..

Actually, there never was a "NEVER MENTION HAL JORDAN AGAIN" rule here at AFI. At one point the Hal controversy was getting out of hand and was spilling over into a bunch of different threads. We thought it best to restrict the discussion to one particular thread. It was only fair for the folks who were getting tired of hearing it.

It's kinda senseless to have mutiple threads that deal with one topic. Merging them is pretty much standard operating procedure for a lot of forums.

tnswman wrote:
....there is no excuse why ANY figure can't be made in a line..

That you know of.

stonehd wrote:
FYI:

From today's "Lying in the Gutters" (Rich Johnston's rumor column):

Quote:
Oh and can someone please find out why Warner Bros Animation won't allow a Hal Jordan figure in the JLU line. I'd look into it but... well... you know. It's dolls.

And he links back to the main page here. Interesting.

Davy

Interesting indeed. Somebody e-mailed Rich. :wink: Whoever sent that e-mail should probably correct him, though. I don't think Warner Brothers Animation is the culprit here. I think it's Warner Brothers Consumer Products that's saying "no" to Hal. Same company, different division.

Dvalin Dredd wrote:
It seems to me that Mattel is just making excuses.

Again: Mattel is not the problem here.

Mike
(This is just a suggestion on my part so please take it in the spirit that it's intended: Why don't one of you Hal boosters do a little research and find out who's in charge at Warner Brothers Consumer Products? [Remember, Google is your friend.] Then you can send that person a letter, possibly start some correspondence amd maybe get some answers. Like I said, it's just a suggestion.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:55 pm 
Bob Vila

And a good suggestion, Mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:29 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Got this off of the Warner Brothers Website (Wonderful thing, that Google):

Brad Globe, one of the entertainment industry’s most experienced and well-respected consumer products executives, is President of Warner Bros. Consumer Products. In this post, he oversees all Warner Bros. Consumer Products’ business functions, including domestic and international licensing, worldwide marketing, business and legal affairs, finance and retail business development. Globe joined Warner Bros. Consumer Products in February 2005 as Executive Vice President and General Manager.

Warner Bros. Consumer Products represents some of the most highly-regarded entertainment franchises in the world of licensing, including Looney Tunes, Harry Potter, Scooby-Doo and DC Comics’ Superman and Batman, among many others. With more than 3,700 active licensees worldwide, Warner Bros. Consumer Products licenses the rights to names, likenesses and logos for all of the intellectual properties in the Studio’s vast film and television library.

Founded in 1983, Warner Bros. Consumer Products has 39 offices and agents representing more than 44 countries in key regions throughout the world, including Latin America, Asia and Europe.

Prior to coming to Warner Bros. Consumer Products, Globe headed the consumer products business for DreamWorks SKG. Globe joined Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment in 1983 and when Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen formed DreamWorks in 1994, he launched the Consumer Products division there.

Over the course of his career, Globe has worked on many of the licensing industry’s most precedent-setting campaigns, earning him the reputation as one of the most highly-regarded executives in entertainment-marketing.

Globe is known for successful collaborations with filmmakers, strong retail relationships and developing strategic partnerships with licensees and corporate marketers. He has developed some of the largest and most innovative programs over the course of his career for such storied franchises as Jurassic Park, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Back to the Future (Parts I, II, & III), American Tail, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Hook, The Flintstones, Casper, Twister, The Land Before Time, Men in Black, Steven Spielberg Presents Tiny Toon Adventures, Steven Spielberg Presents Animaniacs, and, most recently, the Academy Award-winning Shrek and Shrek 2.

Throughout his career, Globe has been honored as an innovator in the licensing and promotions arenas. His marketing and promotional campaign with McDonald’s and Sears for Amblin’s 1986 animated film An American Tail is widely credited as the genesis of corporate America partnering with the entertainment industry on a theatrical movie release. The campaign was honored by the International Licensing Industry Merchandisers’ Association (LIMA) as “The Most Innovative Merchandising and Marketing Campaign for a Motion Picture.”

In 1988, LIMA credited Globe’s merchandising program for Who Framed Roger Rabbit as the year’s “Most Impactful Property.” In 1994, the Promotion Marketing Association of America, Inc. honored his campaign for Jurassic Park as “Distinguished Achievement in Entertainment Marketing.” That same year, Advertising Age selected Globe as the co-honoree for “Marketer of the Year.” In February 2001, UJA Federation of New York honored Globe with a prestigious Licensing Achievement Award. And in 2004, Globe was inducted into LIMA’s Licensing Hall of Fame.

Globe is a graduate of UCLA and Southwestern Law School. A member of the California Bar Association, he resides in Los Angeles with his wife, Anne, and their daughter, Sophia.

Brad Globe
Warner Bros. Consumer Products Inc.
4000 Warner Blvd
Burbank, CA 91522

Mike
(It wouldn't hurt to write a polite letter, Hal fans. Just sayin'.) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:47 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

So a man called Globe is in charge of a world wide company, eh?

Nice. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:48 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

SDcomics wrote:
His marketing and promotional campaign with McDonald’s and Sears for Amblin’s 1986 animated film An American Tail is widely credited as the genesis of corporate America partnering with the entertainment industry on a theatrical movie release.

I don't get this one. Haven't they heard of George Lucas/Star Wars? George did the whole movie release/consumer product thing long before this guy.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:33 am 
PVC

Did anyone get an email for this boob?

What GOOD rason could a Toy company possibly have for not making a toy that would obviously be atop seller? Why would a property owner stop that from taking place???

There is no good reason to not allow Hal to be made for the JLU for mass production. It should be well noted that there are SEVERAL characters that have figures in Multiple toy lines......If they were worried about a JLU Hal taking sales away from the DC Classics Hal, what are they basing it on? Did the JLU figure of Steel take away from the DCSH Steel figure???

what could the reason possibly be? They are allowing multiples of dozens of other characters to be made in different lines..they are allowing Hal to be made in other lines een.. WHY NOT JLU......What makes him special? What is the difference between Hal and Hawkman? They are both in The Batman line......Hawkman has a JLU figure now so, there goes the idea about the character confussion. Oh wait.. Hawkman DOES NOT HAVE A LIMITED EDITION A$$ KISSING FIGURE like Hal does.....so, to me.. that is the only reason that Hal can't be made. However, are the so stupid that they do not realize that they can make a different Hal figure so their precious little A$$ kissing gift can retain it's oh-so loved value?

ANYONE who defends WB And yes, MATTEL ( they have a part in this too) over Hal not being made. is nothing but a fluffer!!

now, do I hate Mattel and WB? No not at all...I am getting an animated Hal with The Batman line, so..I am happy because I love those figures so much more anyway.. However...there is a TON of BS surrounding the JLU hal and there is no good reason for it...that's why you don't hear an official excuse, THERE IS NOT ONE THAT MAKES ANY SENSE...and EVERYONE KNOWS IT!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:11 am 
Joint Unfreezer

tnswman wrote:
Did anyone get an email for this boob?

Well there's the wrong kind of attitude right from the start. Please don't email him a version of your post here. If it even made it past his secretary it would do all harm and no good.

I hope several of us will write polite, hand-written letters -- they carry much more wait than emails, which tend to be browsed through and then deleted or forgotten.

Thanks for looking that up Mike!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next