Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I'm quitting JLU
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:33 am 
PVC

Hey everybody -

Well, I had a feeling this was coming for me, but yesterday was the day I finally had to make a decision. I've been an avid JLU collector for almost two years now. I always thought the figures were a cross between really cool and just glorified happy meal toys. But the sheer volume of characters is what sucked me into collecting them. But honestly, I always thought they looked just a tad silly.

The last two figures I was able to find at retail were the Huntress 3-pack and the Demon 3-pack back in late November of last year. Up until yesterday, I hadn't seen any new JLU figures in stores at all. That's 9 months of fruitless searching. No Shade, no Stargirl/Parasite, no Obsidian, no Volcana, no Star Sapphire, no Lightray/Nemesis.

Yesterday, I finally saw my first new JLU figures on the pegs in 2007: Joker and Hawkman at Big Lots. And I finally had to decide if I was continuing. And I decided: nope. I think the line has its merits, but honestly, its one appealing factor (depth of characters) will soon also be a factor in DCSH, which feature much more beautiful sculpts. So I'm focusing solely on that line now. Sure, the distribution on DCSH is just as bad as JLU, but I've actually been able to find every DCSH figure on the pegs at least once over the past year, which is much more than I can say about JLU.

So my JLU collection is going on eBay very soon. DCSH, you've got my attention.

Wakko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:38 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

You know I truly understand you, I will only continue with JLU this year, next year I will totally buy DCUC, and nothing else.
The distribution and the quality issues are making that I like these figures a lot less than I did when I first started collecting them.
I may still have a change of mind, but Im thinking it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:43 am 
buzz word garbage hater

I totally don't mean this in a rude way, even though I know it will probably be taken as such, but I have always wondered: What is the purpose of a post like this?

I've seen them on every message board I've ever gone to. "This is the end for me, I'm not watching this show anymore" or "I'm tired of so and so's production issues, I'm not collecting them anymore". I'm just curious, as I honestly don't understand the "Announcing you're done post".

Again, not meaning it as rude, just looking for honest discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:17 am 
PVC

hutchprime wrote:
I totally don't mean this in a rude way, even though I know it will probably be taken as such, but I have always wondered: What is the purpose of a post like this?

I've seen them on every message board I've ever gone to. "This is the end for me, I'm not watching this show anymore" or "I'm tired of so and so's production issues, I'm not collecting them anymore". I'm just curious, as I honestly don't understand the "Announcing you're done post".

Again, not meaning it as rude, just looking for honest discussion.

That's a legitimate question. My intent was just to share my thoughts with fellow collectors. I'm not making an ultimatum, or taking a stand, or trying to convince others to quit collecting. I'm just giving my perspective on the line, and wondering what kind of feedback I'll get -- encouragement to keep going, understanding, discussion, whatever...

I figure, if I feel the need to quit and want to share my thoughts, who better to get feedback from than other collectors of the line?

Wakko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:37 am 
buzz word garbage hater

Good point. Honestly I think the normal reasons for a post of this type are NOT the ones that you have in mind...

Question: If enough people said that you SHOULD keep collecting JLU and gave good reasons, would you change your mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:43 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Wakko wrote:
I figure, if I feel the need to quit and want to share my thoughts, who better to get feedback from than other collectors of the line?

When I read the initial post I wasn't going to reply because you weren't asking for feedback, you just seemed to be making a statement, but since you've clarified the reason for your post I guess I will...

I'm not going to suggest that you continue with the line, exactly, I'm just going to suggest that you don't do anything rash (like selling of the collection you currently have) until Mattel announces what changes are coming to the line next year. The changes they have in store may be something that would make you want to continue collecting the line and selling off your collection now would mean either not collecting something you really like because you don't have the previous figures anymore or that you'd be starting the JLU collection from point one because you want the new stuff. I know that it's unlikely that the "new" line may change your mind, but holding off for a few months may save you a lot of grief if you really like the stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:45 am 
PVC

I can tell by your post that collecting JLU has stopped being fun because it's frustrating not finding what you want. If it stops being fun for me, I'll quit too. Good luck with your DCUC collecting. It looks like 2008 is going to be a very fun year.

-Seth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:18 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I still will only collect JLU, I have no interest in the DCSH or whatever it's new name is line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:22 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I absolutely agree with Jim-Abell. Wait it out for a bit, there could be some awesome stuff going on with whatever JLU will become. I personally feel JLU is one of the best lines out there- it is on character depth alone that I decided to get into it. It has been a frustrating year to collect the line and I was so behind for awhile, but I am now mostly caught up.(Just Volcana and Blue Devil needed until the next sets come out.)

While I do like the DCUC figures that are coming, there is something to be said about displaying JLU- the figures are smaller, so they take up much less space. Plus, the selection of characters have been astounding. While DCUC will have a good selection of characters, we will not have the same amount of characters by the end of next year as we do in JLU. (30 slated for next year, plus the ones we have already) I counted what we are supposed to be up to after the Grodd pack is released and it is close to 80. We could have over 100 characters by the end of next year if we're lucky. I always smile when I look at my JLU collection- they're just amazing to me and probably DC's first mass market line to have more than 5 female figures. That alone to me is worth it. :)

But again, it is all up to you- but I would wait, besides if more new collectors decide to jump in next year and you decided you wanted to sell, your JLU lots might do better on eBay.

Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:37 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I only started collecting this line about June of last year. And I'm proud to say that only Blue Devil (and Hal Jordan) is the only one's that are missing. I have never been so determined to collect a line such as this coz we all have learned to appreciate the vast line-up of characters. Lately with the updates of the DC license it has more opened up a lot of major possibilities.

I could understand your frustration in quitting. But think about what you've gone thru reaching what you have now... As for me, that will be my reason for holding on to this line until it reaches it's conclusion... But hey, if this causes you more pain than pleasure, by all means, let go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:01 am 
Knows his stuff

It is definitely frustrating, but I'll continue collecting this line, especially now that Mattel announced that more characters are to be made... Looking forward to it... I quit collecting the 6-inchers two years ago and I could care less about this DCSH. So JLU is the only line I collect to this day... If I can't find any new figures, I buy or customize the characters that I want... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:14 am 
serves the Otter

With Transformers Classics out of stores JLU is the only line I collect at this point. I have every figure except Blue Devil, Grodd, Fire, Ice, and Mr. Miracle. (I am getting Shayera and the Ray soon in the mail). If the line is close to ending it makes me feel kind of happy to know that I basically have every figure. I will wait to see what happens next year. I will probably only be interested in collecting figures from the DCAU and not animated versions of comics characters. I'm still waiting for the Question, Captain Marvel and Captain Atom too.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:28 am 
proverbial old fart

I confess that I'm really frustrated with the distribution of the JLU right now, but I recall that about this time last year I was equally frustrated.

We are in the twilight zone between major resets and there are slim pickings of what we're looking for.

Add to this the toy recall and many of the retailers are probably trying to second-guess what is and isn't okay to put out on the pegs.

Then there is the 11th hour issue of the expanded license. Mattel has had to fall back and start rethinking all the DC toys that they are creating.

Considering the steady sales of the JLU and Target's affinity for the line, including exclusives, I would be very surprised to see the JLU line end before 2009. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I believe the line still has legs.

There were discussions at SDCC about distribution issues and quality control. The things we're seeing now were already in the pipeline, so we probably won't see fixes until early in 2008, but I believe Mattel is addressing these issues

I still need a Hawkman, Star Sapphire, Fire & Ice and Blue Devil, but I'm not giving up on the line anytime soon.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:11 am 
PVC

I really understand your frustration as far as distribution goes. Though the "bargain" aesthetics of the JLU line (which is what I think you meant with your "Happy Meal" comment) hasn't bothered me much.

Also, I want to say that I don't find anything wrong with posts like this; they're not pointless at all. Forums like AFI should be places where all collector viewpoints can be shared.

I know that some folks are of the mind that there's nothing constructive about airing frustration. I really don't agree. I think very often people vent aggravation because they have genuine passion for collecting and genuine love for these toy lines. When you love something passionately, you take it personally when something stands in the way of that love! (Or in Wakko's case, when the love dies).

As a side note, I should say that I do bristle in those weird moments when people are rude and insulting, or seem irrationally angry in their posts. (Which happens so rarely here on AFI -- one of the reasons I like this board!) That's abusive love!

Wakko, I'm sorry that you won't be collecting JLU anymore. I'm trying to hold out to see if I can get some new figures. (Like you, November 2006 was the last time I scored one). But I can see myself writing a post like yours if in, say, 2 months, I can't get some more JLU on my shelf.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:22 am 
Resin

I would like to echo the "hang on to what you've got for a while" sentiment. Maybe stop displaying them for a while, but don't sell them all yet. I did this about 6 years ago with my animated (BTAS and TNBA) figures, some JLA/Total Justice figures and some vintage Transformers and regretted it ever since. In retrospect it was a great idea to get rid of some of my old boxed Transformers, but my loose TNBA figures I'm still looking to replace. Once I got into JLU I started looking for some of those old animated figures that I used to own already. Box 'em up for a while, see what they announce for the future of the line and then make a decision.