Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm quitting JLU
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 am 
Cold-cast

I can completely see your point of view. I've been collecting the line for over 4.5 years since the beginning of the JL line, and this years has EASILY been the worst for finding figures. Yes, even worse than 2004 when the only new figure was Ultra-Humanite and the 'Big 5' variants rotted on pegs. The distribution was bad last year, but this year it has become SADISTIC.

Personally I am caught up with everything that has been released so far, but it wasn't easy. Actually, it WAS easy to collect the 3packs last year, until Mattel screwed over the online retailers like BBTS. Singles were a bit more difficult, but I am fortunate enough to live in Target-dense cities. For example I saw the orange carded Vigilante and Orion a handful of times.

I have been able to get nearly ALL of the 2007 for retail, including the Shayera/Ray con exclusive*. But this was only accomplished with the help of friends.

The worst thing about the distribution is that we don't have any real proof that it will get better, outside of the new cases having one of each new 3pack included(Barda/Sand/Obsidian and Hawkman/Joker/Metallic Supes Family). We get the lip service from Mattel that they are 'looking into' the problems, and whispers/rumors such as Stargirl being rotated into the Spring 08 mix.

I know Mattel's Boys toys division is still relatively new, and has constant turnover. But when we are seeing the exact same problems a half decade into the relaunch, there is obviously something wrong in the upper management levels at Mattel.

Personally, I don't trust anything that Mattel says, and haven't since the MOTU Snake-Men debacle(*kicks dead horse*). Did we EVER get the official explanation of how the Shayera/Ray 3pack didn't make retail?

Even through all of the aggrevations, I will still collect JLU. Why? I like my Blue Devil, Parasite, Vigilante, expanding JSA, etc. It's the classic battered-spouse scenario.

I just don't understand the whole "I'm quitting and selling it all" mentality. If Fire/Ice/Mr Miracle don't get released ever, that won't make me enjoy my Aztek or Tomar Re any less. I still have my Total Justice/JLA/BTAS/STAS figures around. The only time I get rid of those is when a JLU version replaces the character, and even that doesn't always happen. I still use my S:MOS Deluxe Steel and STAS Supergirl with my JLUs.

*I don't consider getting the Blue Devil at near retail. I technicially only paid ~$7 for it, but I got stuck with 5 other $7 stiffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:15 am 
my tummy itches

I agree, the distribution is incredibly frustrating!!!!

But I like this line so much that I will only stop collecting it when no new figures are being made.

I said it once before, JLU make me feel like I'm a crack-head who realizes that some day the recipe for crack will be lost, so until that day comes, I've got to get as much as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:15 am 
Displays Backwards

Technically, I'm still collecting the line (I got the SDCC 3 pack and a Shade figure recently, thanks to Veil1), but I'm months behind and have basically given up on going out of my way to find the figures I'm missing, so I guess I've given up on being completist about collecting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:17 am 
Prototype

I like both DCSH and JLU equally, but for different reasons. JLU for the character selection and DCSH for the amazing sculpts. 2008 will be a big year for both of these lines and I don't plan on stopping collecting them anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:23 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

As someone who had to give up his JLU and DCSH recently, I'll throw myself in the ring of opinion that sez DON'T give them up just yet. I have a feeling that 2008 will be a banner year for DC collectors, animated and otherwise.

You'll regret it. Don't do it. Put them in a box and then into the attic of something, but don't get rid of them permanently.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:29 am 
Factory Worker

I also made the decision to quit collecting JLU. I really got frustrated with the whole orange card Vigilante situation. I did continue with the purple carded figures but I grew tired of the "hunt". The Targets, TRU and Wal-Marts started carrying less and less of the JLU figures and I started seeing more and more of the "hard to find" JLU figures on eBay at exagerrated prices. Heck, my Target still doesn't have purple carded JLU figures. I was actually going to really get back into this summer but I just couldn't bring myself to buy them on eBay. The SDCC 3-pack didn't spark my interest. Even the announcement of Mattel getting the master license didn't do it for me. So, yes, I am done with JLU. I was really looking forward to Grodd and Hawkman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:14 pm 
PVC

Wakko, I understand how you feel, but it sounds like you are basing your feelings solely on not keeping your collection up to date. If you don't read anything else I write, at least know that you are not alone.

Think of all you have collected so far, the time you spent, the thrill of finding new figures, etc. Some of us still need the older figures too. It is hard to stay positive when you see everyone on this forum talking about the new stuff, but patience is key. Over time, Mattel will put the figures you missed back in new case shipments and ebay prices will drop as the demand does. If you can afford it, consider buying figures through online toy stores rather than in local stores or on ebay.

Think this over fully, because I think Chip is right:

marillion wrote:
You'll regret it. Don't do it. Put them in a box and then into the attic of something, but don't get rid of them permanently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:11 pm 
Knows his stuff

I agree you can get better figures in the 6" scale, but imagine the investment you are committing to for $10/figure if they match the character selection. For me, I grew up with the Superpowers figures, but loved the Timm animated shows...so JLU for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:48 pm 
Damage Control

I completely understand your decision. this is an extremely frustrating line to collect. A friend of mine just recently gave up on it too, thanks to Mattel's horrible distribution.

I've still never found:

Volcana 3-pack
Stargirl/Parasite 3-pack
Obsidian 3-pack
Star Sapphire 3-pack
Big Barda/Deadshot 3-pack
Blue Devil Single
Shining Knight Single

Nothing but Trinity 3-packs everywhere at all the Targets in my area that I've been to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:57 pm 
Displays Backwards

I, too, have quit buying JLU figs. I haven't bought any in months. I don't even go looking for them anymore. Because they're not anywhere!! I mean, I guess I could buy a brand spanking new Trinity pack or maybe some super awesome Superman or Batman singles, but I'll pass. So, I, too, have quit collecting JLU figs. Until Mattel gets the seven 3-packs (that's seven!!) or two single figures to stores that I actually want to buy, I will not be buying any JLU figures.

It is really stupid that I see the EXACT SAME JLU FIGURES EVERY TIME I go to stores, and they never move, ever, and yet so many of us are chomping at the bit to buy other figures. At least Mattel didn't use lead paint on the JLU ... yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:10 pm 
shirtless hugger

I too, have quit. Not through my own choice, but because Mattel no longer wishes me to find their products. I have found Hawkman and Joker, but eluding me still are:

Parasite/Stargirl 3-pack
Sand/Star Sapphire 3-pack
Obsidian/Vigilante (whom I still do not have in single form either) 3-pack
Volcana 3-pack
Blue Devil

I still buy new stuff when I find it, but the fun is no longer there. DCUC will be my new interest. Although I don't have all of the older figures, I know that I had a chance at each one sans the Blue Supergirl and Cyborg Superman. Not bad distribution, all things considered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:52 pm 
my tummy itches

Im not leaving JLU. As long as they are making show accurate characters from the Timm-Verse, and I can find them at regular retail (within reason), I'll be buying them. Im on the fence whether or not I'll be buying expanded universe characters though? I'll worry about that when it happens. I have however basically quit DCSH a while ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:34 am 
MINT!

I sold my entire JLU/animated collection just the other day.

I collected JLU for two things: character selection and my love of the DC animated TV shows.

But-- and this is a very personal but-- I don't like and have never liked small figures with limited articulation. I accepted JLU figures for what they were, and they fell down and broke a lot less than my DC Directs (which I sold approximately 1/8 of a second after I learned about Mattel's 6" Batman/Superman line). But now that there will be 6" DC universe figures of all kinds, I'm hoping against hope that Mattel will conquer the forces that have been plaguing them and over the next few years we'll have 80-100 6" DC characters like we got 80-100 JLU characters.

I too had a horrendous time tracking down some of these figures. I am not one who is used to holes in his collection but I flatly refuse to pay $25-$30 for a Volcana or fully-equipped Vigilante. For me, this was another factor in my decision. It stopped being fun.

However, as unlikely as it may seem, I agree 100% with the people who advise you NOT to quit because of distribution problems if you still like the figures themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:12 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I have every figure I've wanted, and they don't sell them by and large here in Canada. It's all how you enjoy the series I guess. I've gotten into customizing which means making figs I don't think I 'll ever see made, plus making them out of easier to find ( therefore cheaper) base figures.

I don't know whether to say sell yours or keep. I have alot of Simpsons figures and Star Wars figures that I'm having the same internal debate about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:13 am 
Former King of Posts

didn't read all the responses, but I agree with a number of points here.

1) JLU collecting has become discouraging. I've seen nothing past Lightray and Shade.

2) I understand shifting from one line to another. I've cancelled comics that I've collected for decades. Sometimes it takes a while to realize they have lost their appeal/voice. but if I like something else better, then that is a better use of my money.

3) wait 6 months before dumping them. avoid a rash action.

4) if you do decide to sell, seach for the same items on eBay first, using the completed auctions feature to see what recent auctions for the same items have sold for. It might surprise you.

Hope the community here has helped you to put this into perspective.
sf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next