Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:39 am 
Bob Vila

There have been a lot of really good, thoughtful posts in this thread. I hope that the Powers That Be read this, and see that it's not just the usual kvetching, but several well articulated expressions of disillusionment. I don't think that Mattel anticipated DCUC would lead to anyone leaving JLU, but I can certainly understand Wakko's reasoning. I too was originally attracted to JLU because of the great character selection, as well as the uniform style and relative inexpensiveness. Also, JLU was really easy to find for the first few years, and I think we're all suffering now because of that. Most comic shops and collectibles stores don't deal in JLU, because it's mass distribution led to those shops being stuck with product they can't sell. And, now that this line has become harder to collect, they haven't caught on yet. And we've all probably become a little spoiled too, since up until recently it was never very difficult to find anything. I too find it hard to justify paying more on eBay or other online channels for JLU, since I'm still conditioned to think "sooner or later, I'll find it in a store".

Mattel is going to have to realize that the distribution problems of the last year have really hurt a lot of collector's enthusiasm. It's bad enough that we have to buy the same figures over and over again in the 3-packs; but to struggle so mightily to find the new releases, and to see the same Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman packs staring back at us each time we go into the Target toy aisle-- it's too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:09 am 
ABS

I think JLU is going to be hurt allot more then Mattel realizes and its not just collectors. My son was hardcore into JLU, it was what he played with all the time. But then we couldn't find anything when we went to the stores, sure I bought him whatever I could find online, but still when we went into a store and he had allowance money in his pocket and there was nothing to buy, well he started looking for something else.

Then the guy at the comic shop gave him a bunch of Spiderman villians and a Spiderman from the Marvel Legends line. Next time we went to the store he didn't even look for JLU, he picked up a DCSH Parasite and the LCBSH Savage Dragon and Judge Dredd. With all these diff heroes and villians in the same scales, ML, LCBSH, DCUC, a smaller toy line like JLU is going to suffer. Parents and kids don't know the Marvel from DC from Image, but if a dad is shopping and he can get a Superman, Spiderman and Conan all the same size for his kid, he is going to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:24 am 
Tis' but a pup

hellpop wrote:
There have been a lot of really good, thoughtful posts in this thread. I hope that the Powers That Be read this, and see that it's not just the usual kvetching, but several well articulated expressions of disillusionment.

Agreed. Mattel began frequenting these forums to gain fan feedback so that the JLU line could be successful. And boy, did it work! What a homerun with fans when that first JLU wave hit! It's true that the feedback that we handed Mattel in those early days was more celebratory; as hellpop said, it was much easier to lay your hands on figures, so everyone was in a better mood. Funny how accessibility when paired with wide character selection can really stoke enthusiasm for an action figure line! Mattel hasn't yet provided any specific information on how they are addressing the distribution problem, other than to say "we're working on it." I hope they are. I don't want to be a JLU-quitter!

hellpop wrote:
Mattel is going to have to realize that the distribution problems of the last year have really hurt a lot of collector's enthusiasm.

It's funny, a lot of folks here on the AFI forums seem to think that Mattel really does realize this because Toy Guru says things like "be patient, it will get better." But because neither he nor Boy Wonder (nor Texas Ranger) ever explicitly addressed how distribution problems were being corrected (other than a general acknowledgement that there were "issues"), I have no way of knowing if Mattel is really getting the message. I know Toy Guru wrote a note to us after the SDCC outcry, but to my mind, this doesn't remotely register receipt of the specific anxieties surrounding distribution.

It made me chuckle that several folks in this thread have admitted to becoming "unwilling quitters" of the JLU line. That is, because they haven't had any opportunities to purchase new figures in, for some, almost a year, they've essentially been forced into stopping their collection of the line. This is totally how I feel! Maybe we should start a support group. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:32 am 
PVC

I really, REALLY appreciate all the thoughtful replies I've gotten to my initial post. I've read all of them, and as a result have temporarily changed my mind about selling off my collection. I'm going to hold onto it, for now. It's no longer displayed in my office; it's in a box in my laundry room. I'll keep it there until I decide for certain if I'm ever going to continue to collect the line. For now, I doubt I will. If DCUC fulfills its promise of broad character selection, the JLU line will have lost all its appeal to me. But it will take a few months to a couple of years to see if that happens.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!
Wakko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:47 am 
Former King of Posts

Caprica6 wrote:
Maybe we should start a support group. :?

Isn't that what AFI is? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:52 pm 
I haven't found any new figures in a year and a half. Have I quit buying this line or did it quit me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm 
3 3/4"

MATTEL!!!! Please keep making DCAU figures for many years!! If the cases are packed better than everyone will be happy! I don't want everyone who is quitting the line to ruin it for the rest of us....

KEEP GOING!!!!

thanks-
meks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:32 pm 
It could be worse, in the UK you can't even really buy them off the shelves at all. Only place I've seen 'em that aren't importing is Walmart, and even then only one wave of singles (Batman, Superman, Rocket Red, Metamorpho, Copperhead). Funny story, they stopped putting them out months ago, and last week they all of a sudden had about 30 boxes of singles on the shelves. Amazingly they all seemed to sell dispite being the same 5 over and over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 pm 
Ferret Farmer

Glad to see you've decided to hold off on selling your collection. Keep it in that box and wait it out till we get some news from Mattel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:17 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I have wrestled with this very same problem...I really like the way all of the characters look on my shelves...so many characters and so much less space than ML. I really like the Timm style.

But I have to agree...having to spend so much extra just to get one small figure(Blue Devil from BBTS) has really irked me.
And jeezalou if my wife knew I spent that much...:shock:
well lets just say...I have blown my budget for the past few months.

I love this line...I dont want to see it end and I hope all of the issues from the past are worked out. After meeting TG in Chicago...he seemed reaaly kewl and has a real fondness for this line.

Heres hoping for the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:28 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Hey grtwhite, I applaud you on your new avatar selection. :)

I looooooove the Bruce Timm airbrush marker pieces, as some of you know. ;)

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:35 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

bizzaro wrote:
I still will only collect JLU, I have no interest in the DCSH or whatever it's new name is line

This sentiment is mine, as well. I can tell that a number of folks are moving over to the 6" line, and knowing how many people love Marvel Legends, that doesn't surprise me one bit -- that's the market Mattel is trying to capture with DCSH.

But to me, JLU is the anti-Marvel Legends, and that's a big part of why I collect it. Smaller, clean lines, less articulation, cheaper (when you find them in stores anyway... I just found all three from the Deadshot wave in TRU Friday). Again, for me, the 6" figures are exactly what I don't want. Too much articulation which interferes with the lines and look of the figure, too expensive per figure, too big to store or display.

If and when the JLU/animated ship sinks, I'll likely be buying no more DCU figures, not out of protest, but 'cause there's nothing else out there there interests me at the moment.

Davy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:39 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

stonehd wrote:
bizzaro wrote:
I still will only collect JLU, I have no interest in the DCSH or whatever it's new name is line

This sentiment is mine, as well. I can tell that a number of folks are moving over to the 6" line, and knowing how many people love Marvel Legends, that doesn't surprise me one bit -- that's the market Mattel is trying to capture with DCSH.

But to me, JLU is the anti-Marvel Legends, and that's a big part of why I collect it. Smaller, clean lines, less articulation, cheaper (when you find them in stores anyway... I just found all three from the Deadshot wave in TRU Friday). Again, for me, the 6" figures are exactly what I don't want. Too much articulation which interferes with the lines and look of the figure, too expensive per figure, too big to store or display.

If and when the JLU/animated ship sinks, I'll likely be buying no more DCU figures, not out of protest, but 'cause there's nothing else out there there interests me at the moment.

Davy
Yeah, I feel that way too. Since Transformers Classics folded JLU is the ONLY toyline I still collect. It's usually affordable when you can find it (I've only had to go to Ebay once or twice) and all of the mega hyper articulated figures look a little bit ugly to me. I understand why some people compare JLU to Happy Meal Toys, but I LIKE Happy Meal toys.

The distribution problem is HUGE. I seriously think that Mattel should just start shipping out all of the recent waves again along with the last few figures of the year before Toyfair. They keep saying they are fixing the problem but I've seen absolutely no sign that that is the case.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:05 pm 
PVC

Fone Bone wrote:
The distribution problem is HUGE. I seriously think that Mattel should just start shipping out all of the recent waves again along with the last few figures of the year before Toyfair. They keep saying they are fixing the problem but I've seen absolutely no sign that that is the case.

Fone, I love the idea of re-shipping the recent waves! What a way to win back (many) disgruntled JLU fans.

And I've got to agree with you about distribution. If the problem is being fixed, I haven't been able to tell either. It would be great if Toy Guru or someone else from Mattel would chime in with anything on the topic. (Well, not anything ... I think "be patient, we're working on it" would make the heads of some AFI members explode... :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:16 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

stonehd wrote:
bizzaro wrote:

Davy

I'm with you guys, I collect JLU because the are based on a cartoon and look like a cartoon, no(well very little interest)in DC Legends.

VC9k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next