Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:22 am 
Loose, Missing Package

KingRandor82 wrote:
I find it totally hilarious, cause you sound like someone on the MOTU forums from a mere 3 years ago. I also find it hilarious because apparently your mind, like theirs is stuck in 1987. Back then we didn't know of something called the INTERNET. If you're that impatient, hit up bigbadtoystore, entertainmentearth, brianstoys, or some other online figure retailer. I got news for ya- it'll ALSO save you time and money. Y'know that money you spend on gallons of gas to go to these stores and buy these figures? Spend a THIRD of it, and fork over the dinero for shipping. There- problem solved.

I think you're missing the point of Glenn's post. He wasn't so much complaining about not being able to find toys at retail as he was comparing the way toys were sold back when we were youngsters to the way they're sold now. Personally, I think these days of "instant gratification" in all walks of life are ruining us. In our particular hobby, no sooner than we get news of the next wave then we're demanding to know the next and the next even though the wave we've just heard about for the first time may still be six months from hitting the pegs. I notice here and other toy boards that as soon as someone finds a new item there's a frenzy of people out searching and getting bent out of shape because said item isn't in their neighborhood store 15 minutes after the first post of it being found...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:05 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Yeah that's a good point Jim. My butt starts to spin everytime someone here on the boards find new releases especially JLU! I have 5 Targets, 2 TRU's and 2 Walmarts to check out everytime I go to and from work, but it gets to be frustrating not to find any even in just one of them.

Impatience or excitement, it only spells that we crave to have our line-up as complete and as updated as possible. I am one of those who look the other way with online shops and e-bay. Heck, I don't mind driving a few extra miles getting to the retail shops since they're not much away from my route.

With the popularity and the number of people collecting this line, the fierce battle to get to these figure early only is based on LUCK and probably on the contrary to the title of the thread, PATIENCE! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:31 am 
Bob Vila

I think there are two factors that make JLU fans in particular impatient.

One: We have limited shopping options. Target and TRU are the only real consistent outlets to find JLU figures, and with TRU being often so behind, Target is really it. Moreover, with the case ratios being what they have been, you may only see a new figure once in your area, because the rest of the packs in the case may sit on the shelves for ages, causing less reorders.

Two: Who knows how much time this line has? It's a budget line for a cartoon that ended several years ago. Each new figure assortment could well be the last.

Also, to address the Internet option argument: It's not that easy. Most online toy retailers don't carry JLU, and many that do are quite behind, not to mention the HUGE markup many of them ask for. Yes, BBTS is great, but try to order Barda/Deadshot from them now. You'll be backordered, just like I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:45 am 
shirtless hugger

I realized what's causing my own impatience: prices. This stems from the poor distribution, but this line was supposed to be a budget line. Ordering packs from BBTS at 25 dollars apiece? Not very cheap. :(

Post subject: Re: JLU fans - Why are we so damn impatient?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:54 am 
MINT!

Scott Rogers wrote:
I believe patience is the key to action figure collecting (it's worked with Star Wars) but what is it about JLU figure collecting that makes us so damn impatient?

So, how long have you been working at Mattel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:01 am 
MINT!

marillion wrote:
If you don't have it, your livestock will die a quick death before the tank is past the "brand new" stage. So, why I'm impatient here when I've already proven it there is beyond me.

Oh, I can answer that. It's because being ultra-patient is part of the hobby of reef tanks. You knew that going in. But did you ever think when you made the decision to collect JLU (or any Mattel DC stuff) that you'd have to wait six or eight months after the release date of the figures to be able to find them at retail-- if at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:08 am 
MINT!

Glenn2000 wrote:
Part of the problem we all suffer with is a limited number of retailers.

Yea, it's frustrating at times, but all those weeks of frowning when you find the pegs empty or filled with the same stuff evaporate when you crumpledung thatfigure.

It is part of the thrill of the hunt. :wink:

I enjoyed the walk down memory lane, but honestly as far as places that technically carry Mattel DC product, things are better, not worse, than when we were kids. When I was a kid there was KB, Kiddie City, and Toys R Us (one of each). (And Sears at Xmas.) Today, TECHNICALLY, if I were looking for a combination of Mattel DC lines, I had a chance of finding them not only at major retailers known for their toy selection but at clothing/home furnishing chains like Kohls, discounters like Big Lots! and Dollar General, and virtually all major drug store chains. Right now, within a ten minute drive of my house, there are close to TWENTY stores where I conceivably could find Mattel DC stuff of one type or other-- except of course, I can't, and haven't.

Post subject: Re: JLU fans - Why are we so damn impatient?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:13 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

killer mothzilla wrote:
Scott Rogers wrote:
I believe patience is the key to action figure collecting (it's worked with Star Wars) but what is it about JLU figure collecting that makes us so damn impatient?

So, how long have you been working at Mattel?

How long have you been working at Hasbro?

Mike
(killer mothzilla: This is your friendly neighborhood moderator. You've just gotten your first warning. Knock. It. Off.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:24 am 
PVC

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm impatient because there are figures that came out in Novemebr that I still have not been able to find. And I've been looking like mad. Also I'm completely fed up with Mattel's promises of releasing info on the future of the line. They've been jerking us around for a very long time now with promises of "Wait until Toy Fair" and then "Wait until SDCC" without anything to show for it. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I have given up on them. If I find the figures I'll buy them, but I will no longer chase after Mattel begging them to take my money.

Last edited by MrTheFrog on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:29 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Jim_Abell wrote:
I notice here and other toy boards that as soon as someone finds a new item there's a frenzy of people out searching and getting bent out of shape because said item isn't in their neighborhood store 15 minutes after the first post of it being found...

I can speak to that. Lately it really has come down to being the very first person to spot a new shipment. For example, a couple months ago folks started reporting finding the Barda and Star Saphire 3 packs. What I should have done was leave work immediately and hit every local Target. But I didn't. I waited until the end of the day. What happened? I found the remnants of those prized waves at every Target I hit and I have not seen those 3 packs since.

I had one shot and I missed it by hours. That's why there is a frenzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:31 am 
The Last Word

Glenn2000 wrote:
Part of the problem we all suffer with is a limited number of retailers.

Back when I was a kid (and dinosaurs roamed the earth) there were many more opportunities because there were more retailers. You had Sears, Montgomery Wards, JC Penny's that each had a permanent toy department. You also had local/regional chain department stores that had permanent toy departments (Macy's; Gimbel's; Frederick & Nelson; Woodward & Lothrop; etc.) plus you had 5 & dime stores like Woolworth's; Kresgee's; Newberrys that had toys.

Even as a kid with limited transportation options - going shopping with your parents - there were a multitude of places to look for that "special toy" be it a Mego Spiderman, Captain Action Phantom Suit or Major Matt Mason moon walker.

Now we have a couple of big box retailers (Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us - and to a lesser extent K-Mart) as our options. This means there are fewer buyers to buy toys and consequently small production runs. For better or worse the places like the internet toy sellers don't have a significant impact on sales.

You know, I can remember the difficulty of finding version 2 of Snake-Eyes and the Tomax and Xamot two-pack. I never saw Snakes at retail in my home city; I scored him on a road trip. I only saw one pack of the twins in a store. I was the only kid I knew who had that Snake-Eyes figure, and I only knew one other kid who had the twins. I really don't think things were any better then.

brand42 wrote:
Collecting Star Wars figures doesn't seem to require as much patience though. Distribution is much better than JLU's and so it isn't that hard to get caught up on the latest waves. Even with the McQuarrie figures, should you not find them at retail, Hasbrotoyshop.com stocks them every so often.

That might be the case now, but it certainly wasn't four years ago.

I wonder how all the people who started collecting JLU within the last year or two would have reacted when JL first hit retailers, and it was virtually impossible to find anything other than Batman. They'd have been begging for pegs full of Superman then. :lol:

Caprica6 wrote:
But for many of us, it's not financially feasible to purchase JLU from online retailers, let alone Ebay. Finding a figure at traditional retail versus purchasing it online often makes a difference of at least $20. Maybe that's not a lot for someone like you "King" Randor, but it is for someone like me.

So you get all your gas for free? And your time isn't worth anything? Because that's essentially what you're saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:48 am 

Caped Crusader wrote:
So you get all your gas for free? And your time isn't worth anything? Because that's essentially what you're saying.

Not that black and white.

I get a certain amount of money each month for a "toy allowance." Gas does not get subtracted from that amount.

Yes, if I was being held to a super technical interpretation of my allowance I should calculate all the miles I spend exclusively hunting for figures . . . but luckily for me I'm not. Hehehe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:00 am 
The Last Word

Cantina-Dan wrote:
Not that black and white.

I get a certain amount of money each month for a "toy allowance." Gas does not get subtracted from that amount.

Yes, if I was being held to a super technical interpretation of my allowance I should calculate all the miles I spend exclusively hunting for figures . . . but luckily for me I'm not. Hehehe...

An allowance? From your parents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:59 am 

"Allowance" is just easier than saying: "The amount of money my wife and I mutually agreed upon allowing me a reasonable sum to spend on a frivilous hobby and, at the same time, giving her some assurance that I am not spending us into the poorhouse."

Oh, why does it matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:07 am 
5" Scale

To me it's not a question of "now", but "never". In other words, I don't mind if I have to wait a month (or more) once products have started to hit shelves on the West Coast....for example, new Star Wars figures, or ML, or something like that, because I know eventually I'll find it at Target or TRU without too much fuss.

But with JLU, I never see it. I have seen no new characters at retail since Nemesis/Lightray & the Shade. And for a while, I was looking several times a week, and nothing. So I ended up ebaying the figures I needed...I was able to get reasonable prices, but still a heck of a lot more than I'd have to pay at retail.

Add in the fact that others have mentioned....we've gotten nothing but runaround from Mattel for almost a year now, and I think combine a lack of any tangible news (beyond "wait and see"), coupled with spotty (at best) distribution and an inability for people to find new items in any quantity...and bear in mind this is after Mattel's many-months-long 'hiatus' when they weren't shipping new product because Hasbro was dominating the toy aisle with movie-related merchandise, and you get a very high frustration level.

Certainly, a higher frustration level then for any other toyline, I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next