Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:19 am 
Former King of Posts

moderator.

The ebay vs. the hunt arguement is getting old. and verging on nasty here. asking folks to defend their position IS not what this board is for. If you have an opinion, feel free to state it, but trying to convince someone else they are wrong is a waste of time and bandwidth.

this topic is about impatience, not acquisition methods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:30 am 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
I had one shot and I missed it by hours. That's why there is a frenzy.

This is my position as well. In the last year, new JLU figures show up briefly and then disappear. Most have made no reappearance at all. I'm thinking of Volcana, Barda, Obsidian, Sand, et al.

If they hit retail at all (and I'm not sure Volcana actually did), they sell out instantly and you're off to the secondary market. And you'd better strike FAST, because the longer it takes before Mattel re-releases the figures, the higher the price will climb.

If you don't catch it before the next wave comes out, that's it. You're done until Mattel does another release, which so far on the figures I've listed, they have not done.

Will they re-release them? Maybe. Or maybe they'll cancel the line before that happens. I'm not willing to take the chance, so when a figure is released, I move on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 am 
Tis' but a pup

Caped Crusader wrote:
Caprica6 wrote:
But for many of us, it's not financially feasible to purchase JLU from online retailers, let alone Ebay. Finding a figure at traditional retail versus purchasing it online often makes a difference of at least $20. Maybe that's not a lot for someone like you "King" Randor, but it is for someone like me.

So you get all your gas for free? And your time isn't worth anything? Because that's essentially what you're saying.

LOL, I get what you mean. How I wish gas was free! It's true that there is a certain expenditure, mostly of time, that goes into stopping by Target and TRU. (For me, it's pretty gas-free and convenient ... there is a Target in the shopping center where I work, and a TRU across the street). Ideally, if the figures were more available at traditional retail, it would be a pretty inexpensive search. But I know we don't live an ideal world! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:08 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

At first I thought maybe a lot of it might be perception. Although we have some frustration/disappointment with trying to obtaining the latest singles or 3 packs, maybe we just seem impatient because we have a venue to express the frustration. Plus, I thought maybe we are made more frustrated/disappointed seeing that others are getting the new figures.

But, some others have made some good points about worrying about not being able to get some figures. Although I think Mattel will repack/reissue some of the harder to find stuff eventually. It's kind of sad to have to wait a year or so until that happens (if it happens).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:40 am 
5" Scale

Bryan Long wrote:
If you don't catch it before the next wave comes out, that's it. You're done until Mattel does another release, which so far on the figures I've listed, they have not done.

Will they re-release them? Maybe. Or maybe they'll cancel the line before that happens. I'm not willing to take the chance, so when a figure is released, I move on it.

That's how I'm starting to feel. While Grodd shouldn't be too much of a problem (since Doomsday wasn't), I have a feeling when Fire, Ice & Mr. Miracle start to show up, I will probably end up ebaying them as soon as I find a reasonable price (in the $20-$25 range) just to avoid the sheer irksomeness of hitting up Targets fruitlessly.

Post subject: Re: JLU fans - Why are we so damn impatient?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:30 pm 
MINT!

SDcomics wrote:
killer mothzilla wrote:
Scott Rogers wrote:
I believe patience is the key to action figure collecting (it's worked with Star Wars) but what is it about JLU figure collecting that makes us so damn impatient?

So, how long have you been working at Mattel?

How long have you been working at Hasbro?

Mike
(killer mothzilla: This is your friendly neighborhood moderator. You've just gotten your first warning. Knock. It. Off.)

Zing! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:51 pm 
MINT!

Cantina-Dan wrote:
[ What I should have done was leave work immediately and hit every local Target. But I didn't. I waited until the end of the day. What happened? I found the remnants of those prized waves at every Target I hit and I have not seen those 3 packs since.

Yep, and it's a sad, sick situation for us all to be subjected to, and is absolutely inexcusable.

"But Mattel said--"

INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:59 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

killer mothzilla wrote:
Cantina-Dan wrote:
[ What I should have done was leave work immediately and hit every local Target. But I didn't. I waited until the end of the day. What happened? I found the remnants of those prized waves at every Target I hit and I have not seen those 3 packs since.

Yep, and it's a sad, sick situation for us all to be subjected to, and is absolutely inexcusable.

"But Mattel said--"

INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez.

killer mothzilla, for God's sake, we get it.

THE MATTEL DC STUFF IS REALLY HARD TO FIND AT RETAIL RIGHT NOW.

We friggin' GET IT, already. Just how many more times are you going to make that point today?

Mike
(Ah, the Mattel-All board on AFI. Where "ad nauseum" takes on a whole new meaning ...) Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:25 pm 
MINT!

SDcomics wrote:

THE MATTEL DC STUFF IS REALLY HARD TO FIND AT RETAIL RIGHT NOW.

We friggin' GET IT, already. Just how many more times are you going to make that point today?

Mike
(Ah, the Mattel-All board on AFI. Where "ad nauseum" takes on a whole new meaning ...) Image

:roll: :roll: :roll:

What I have been trying to say, that you guys don't seem to get-- is a QUESTION, not a statement. And, for the last time, I promise, here it is--

Why on Earth, given the situation in 2007, would retailers make a significant commitment to Mattel's upcoming DC lines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:30 pm 
shirtless hugger

killer mothzilla wrote:
Why on Earth, given the situation in 2007, would retailers make a significant commitment to Mattel's upcoming DC lines?

Two reasons: "The Dark Knight" and Mattel's new DC license. Retailers know that these are a big deal, and will take their chances on them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:44 pm 
Displays Backwards

brand42 wrote:
Scott Rogers wrote:
I believe patience is the key to action figure collecting (it's worked with Star Wars) but what is it about JLU figure collecting that makes us so damn impatient?

Collecting Star Wars figures doesn't seem to require as much patience though. Distribution is much better than JLU's and so it isn't that hard to get caught up on the latest waves. Even with the McQuarrie figures, should you not find them at retail, Hasbrotoyshop.com stocks them every so often.

For me at least, seeing the disparity between how much easier it is to get McQuarrie Fett than the Stargirl pack is a major factor in making me one of the impatient JLU collectors.

I have never seen a McQuarrie figure at a store, ever. Or available at HTS, except the Obi/Yoda pack which I actually got. But there are tons of them on Ebay. I hate how scalperific the Star Wars collectors seem to be. I guess if I really want them, I will have to pay $15 each or more for them.

JLU, on the other hand, are few and far between on Ebay, which means there just aren't many out there. And thus we fear we may never find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:19 pm 
Prototype

I'm having trouble finding ANY three pack besides Trinity and Zatanna. I only saw one Joker pack and I'm lucky I got it. I still need Barda/Deadshot, Obsidian and Hawkman packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:04 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Caprica6 wrote:
KingRandor82 wrote:
If you're that impatient, hit up bigbadtoystore, entertainmentearth, brianstoys, or some other online figure retailer.

But for many of us, it's not financially feasible to purchase JLU from online retailers, let alone Ebay. Finding a figure at traditional retail versus purchasing it online often makes a difference of at least $20. Maybe that's not a lot for someone like you "King" Randor, but it is for someone like me.

Also, there are plenty of companies out there that market specifically for online consumers. But Mattel Toys is not one of them. They are, as they repeatedly tell us, ever mindful of "Mom" in the aisle at Target or Toys R Us. So to a degree, the company itself has sold us the expectation that it would be a bit easier to obtain their products at retail outlets.

First of all, regardless of what my forum username is, I'm likely no richer financially than you are. When all is said and done with my monthly bills( including gas, rent, cable, electricity, driver's insurance, etc), I have about $2-$300 remaining- at least as of right now; I don't know how easy things will be once the winter months hit out here, and I might just BARELY make my bills at that point.

Second of all, I usually DON'T order stuff online either- but unlike everyone else here, I accept that it's a challenge, and I go on routine toy hunts. I'm not impatient cause I know that at SOME point, I will find what I'm looking for. Ya think I've successfully snagged Two Face and Super Cyborg yet? No- but I ain't giving up.

See, I don't have to be the "first person on the block" to have it. It's nice to be- no question- but if I'm not the first person than I'm not the first person. At least, at some point, I HAVE the freakin' thing.

As for Mattel's word about distribution and who they market to- guys, I hate to tell you but I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference, at times, between THEIR mentality, and yours. And THAT'S despite a 20 year difference in retail markets.

There- I said it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:33 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

BCYa wrote:
JLU, on the other hand, are few and far between on Ebay, which means there just aren't many out there. And thus we fear we may never find them.

This is a point I wanted to bring up. It makes you really wonder just how many of certain three packs or singles were produced in the first place.

There's no way that, let's say, a Stargirl/Parasite three pack is being produced in similar numbers when compared to a one-per-caser from two years ago. No way.

Did Mattel just severely cut their production of JLU to such a degree? Yeah, I know that '07 is supposedly The Year of the Transformer and Spidey, but, we should at least see reasonable levels of Mattel stuff at retail. But we do not. And I am one of the lucky ones, apparently.

I've never paid above retail for any JLU figure, exclusives included(I'm not counting shipping, but even then, that's pretty damn good). Vigilante...$4.99, Stargirl/Parasite...$9.99, and so on. So far, I have yet to find the latest wave of JLU singles, and the Volcana pack, and that's it. Thing is, someone who devotes as much time to "the hunt" as I do should really see new JLU stuff all of the time. But I do not.

Personally, I think that JLU will continue it's veeerrrrrrryyyy slooooooowwwwww trickle to retail until the line is rebranded and relaunched next year. Until then, impatience and luck(good or bad) will be the headline of the day as far as JLU is concerned.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:26 am 
PVC

Howard the Duck wrote:
Thing is, someone who devotes as much time to "the hunt" as I do should really see new JLU stuff all of the time. But I do not.

This really sums it up for me. Like H the D, I spend a fair amount of time on "the hunt" and am continually surprised that it's not easier for someone like me to lay my hands on certain figures. (Lately, any figures.) I don't even mind paying a bit more to purchase figures online. But like some other folks, I can't really afford some of the online prices I see. (And before somebody tells me that I'm spending more money on gas and yadda yadda, I don't own a car.)

I just wish BBTS would get that dang "Assortment 99F" in stock already. I can afford that, and it would go a long way to calming my JLU restlessness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next