Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A thought about Mattel, the master license, and Hal...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:07 am 
Resin

Now, I'm not trying to get anyone fired up or even hopeful, (So settle down!) but I was simply thinking about various things stated about the master license and the fact that Mattel could potentially make figures based on past, present and future animated DC properties. Add to that what was stated about the upcoming animated Superman/Doomsday figures from DC Direct being the last animated-style preoduced by them, and any possible figures related to the upcoming DC DTV DVD would most likely come from Mattel. Now, if Mattel was to consider making JLA: New Frontier figures, would/could they make us a Hal, due to the fact that as a result of the rebranding, this line is no longer "officially" JLU, rather it is based on a different animated property all together, just how the Hal GL from "The Batman" can be made for that individual line?

Mind you, the above information came from various posts in different threads all found on this forum. I can't find the exact posts because I have the attention span of a hamster. I believe most of the above info was stated by Toy Guru in the "Ask Mattel" thread.

Does anyone think that Mattel will take advantage of the rights to produce lines based on the DTV DVD releases? Would these be released as individual assortments, or all under the new, yet to be released branding?
Is anyone else as bored as I am waiting with baited breath for any and all information to be released about upcoming JLU/DC animated product?

Let me know what you think,
Derb-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:20 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I would love for there to be a Hal figure at some point in the JLU line simply because he is the character that got me into comics and Action Figures in the first place (all thanks to super friends/super powers of course).

That being said, it is my understanding that the "NO HAL" rule is simply a matter of punishment/spite on the part of DC/WB. They never originally gave Mattel permission to produce the figure and when the news of the "Thank You Hal" came out they went alittle nuts about the production of an unlicensed/unapproved figure. From a legal standpoint it makes a ton of sense. You CANNOT set precedent of freely giving away the rights to a license and then charge someone else for its use. I learned this the hard way when I was an Illustrator any years ago. You MUST protect your Copyrights/TM/Licenses at ALL COSTS or you lose them to public domain. (this is not e any means written with any legal expertise at all, just as a base understanding that I have.) SO, yeah, I can see why DC/WB would say NO HAL now or ever as a way to stem the tide of attack from an unlicensed production run.

However, as a FAN, the ban sucks eggs. Charge the fine, settle the agreement and move on. We know that we are getting HAL in the Batman line, I am CERTAIN that we will see Hal in the DCUC (most likely as an anchor in my opinion) so why can't we EVENTUALLY see HAL in the DCAU?

My two cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:17 am 
Resin

I finally just bid on a custom JLU Hal on eBay. They are not going to make one. I don't want to be a downer, but I'm just going to accpet the fact that it is not getting made. Then if they do make him it's just a bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:54 am 
Collector Inspector

Quote:
That being said, it is my understanding that the "NO HAL" rule is simply a matter of punishment/spite on the part of DC/WB. They never originally gave Mattel permission to produce the figure and when the news of the "Thank You Hal" came out they went alittle nuts about the production of an unlicensed/unapproved figure.

TNI: We have heard that you could not release a JLU Hal Jordon figure at general retail due to a clause in your contract with Warner Bros. Now that you have the DC Universe Master license, has that changed? Or are you still forbidden to make that character for the JLU line? If so, can you tell us why?

Scott: We do not have access to doing Hal in the JLU line due to the special gift we created for Warner Brothers in 2006. We understand there is demand for this figure but some things (unfortunately) remain out of our control.

I have never heard this as punishment from DC/WB. Couldn't it be something as simple as it was made as a gift keep it as a gift. I mean my friends own a company called Texas Psychobilly. They make shirts stickers, patches support local and touring bands. Anyway there was a group of 13 original "Psychos" . There were 13 tatoos done by the guy who designed the logo. He will never do them again. Also there were shirts made only for a few never to be made again. My point is these things were down and made to say thanks for the work put in by the people that helped out the company from the begining. Just like Hal was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:17 am 
Joint Unfreezer

They made it by request for WB/DC,there was no punishment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:18 am 
my tummy itches

Lord where is Leonard Nimoy when you need him to go "In Search Of..." the Hal/Lobo truth!?
I'm so completely stoked for the new DC DTVs I cant stand it! Thrilled with the prospect of related figures as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:43 am 
Prototype

I bought a Hal custom a while ago. Once the Holiday Hal was announced I figured it was a lost cause. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:22 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Since there is no reason, "good" or otherwise for DC/WB/Animation's decision to withold Hal Jordan from the JLU lineup, I'm going to side with those who believe that Mattel is being punished.

Thing is, either way you slice the pie, it's the fans and not Mattel who are being punished. Straight up, 'nuff said!

It will certainly be intersting if Mattel is allowed to make a New Frontier Hal, and not a JLU one. They are quite similar. Mind you, they're not similar enough for me to be 100% happy with only a New Frontier Hal.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:11 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I believe any figures based on the new DC DTV animation (including New Frontier) fall under DC Direct's jursidiction. Aferall, they produced Superman vs. Doomsday figs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:34 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

I'm sorry, but LOL at the thought of one company 'punishing' another.

It was in the contract, pure and simple. They wanted their employees, who had devoted MUCH time and effort to producing an amazing show, to have something unique and special.

That is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:39 pm 
Prototype

BamBam wrote:
I believe any figures based on the new DC DTV animation (including New Frontier) fall under DC Direct's jursidiction. Aferall, they produced Superman vs. Doomsday figs.

No, Mattel has rights to ANY of the DC movies under the new contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:10 pm 
Damage Control

Maybe they (mattel) could make some JLU styled Super Friends figures for us (I do believe it's been confirmed they CAN use SF/HB characters) and do a SF version of Hal. I'd be all over some SF in JLU style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:42 pm 
Prototype

grouch wrote:
Maybe they (mattel) could make some JLU styled Super Friends figures for us (I do believe it's been confirmed they CAN use SF/HB characters) and do a SF version of Hal. I'd be all over some SF in JLU style.

Great idea, grouch. I would love to get Black Vulcan, El Dorado, Apache Chief, Samauri and Rima in the JLU/DCAU line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:58 am 
Damage Control

The fact that this figure is so controversial lends me to believe they should really tap into it. All they really need is a new headsculpt, the waverider body is there. It seems more like a strategic move to keep him as a trump card, like for a 6 box figure set, can you imagine, the targets would be pillaged immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:50 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

riddler2403 wrote:
BamBam wrote:

No, Mattel has rights to ANY of the DC movies under the new contract.

If you're right riddler2403, I still don't think Mattel will step on DC Direct's toes since DCD has already released 6'' New Frontier figures. But if they want produce 4'' JLU scale figures, I'm all for it.