Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question about Mattycollector stands ...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 am 
active in the community

I like many bought the JLU stands for my figures, and (like many) I am not too thrilled with them.

Here's my question: Has anyone bought Matty stands for the Infinite Heroes? They look less "bulky" and if the pegs fit the JLU figures' holes, I thought they might work. Ideas????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:48 am 
Infinite Hero

I have the Infinite Heroes stands. I haven't tried a JLU figure on them, but have read online that they definitely DO NOT work for JLU.

They are, however, great with IH.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

Post subject: Re: Question about Mattycollector stands ...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 am 
Loose, Missing Package

LBSuperman wrote:
Here's my question: Has anyone bought Matty stands for the Infinite Heroes? They look less "bulky" and if the pegs fit the JLU figures' holes, I thought they might work. Ideas????

Sort of... The DCUIH stands were designed to put the peg into the figure's left foot while the JLU figures have the peg hole in the right foot so the stands will be "backward" if that will be an issue for you. Of course they're only going to work with figures that have peg holes and any male in tights is going to have to have relatively horizontal feet to keep from falling forward even with the stand. The suit body and the female stance are a bit wide and will leave the left foot off the side of the stand. And they're way too small to hold a figure like Grodd, Grundy or Doomsday even if they did have peg holes in their feet (I got some DCUC stands for that and plan to poster-tack them to it). Here's a pic of some figures on the stands (forgive the dust)...

Unless Matty has something new to offer for JLU stand-wise at SDCC I'm going to figure out a way to put a back support of some sort on the DCUIH stands and use those...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:55 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Mattel just started putting holes in the feet of JLU figures (again). So there is a huge number of figures that don't have peg holes. Most female figures have them but some like the 1st release Black Canary do not. Unless you drill holes in the feet of some of the figures I'd imagine IH stands wouldn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:45 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Wide stances are a pain in the butt with most any stands, even the larger McFarlane ones. I'm still using the old clear ProTechs on my Marvel Universe stuff but I haven't tried them on Infinite Heroes yet. Glad to hear the JLUs got their peg holes back! With that line, it should be a definitive no-brainer.

A toy store called Amok Time used to produce some nice plastic stands that could fit up to three figures. They were cast in gray plastic, were sort of triangular, interlocked nicely with each other, and were suitable for various scales. I would use them on Super Powers along with early DC Direct stuff. They stopped making them years ago, and I have yet to see any old stock for sale anywhere online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 am 
my tummy itches

Location: Kegworth, just around the corner from Gotham, England
As a slight aside, what size holes do DCUC figures have in their feet?

I've a few that need drilling, but I'm a little nervous about doing it without being sure.

I have 2mm drillbits at the moment, but they're too small.

Thanks,

Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:26 am 
Loose, Missing Package

you_will_forget wrote:
As a slight aside, what size holes do DCUC figures have in their feet?

I don't know the actual mm size, but most DCUC have peg holes the same size as vintage Star Wars and the majority of Kenner's action figure output (also Playmate's vintage Turtles and Star Trek lines as well as most of Toy Biz's offerings) A few of the figures have smaller pegholes (Penguin I know is one) and I shaved the peg on the stand down a bit so I wouldn't chance wrecking the figure. Mattel's DCUC stands are okay for what they are but I prefer the Spawn Store stands because they're not as visually intrusive as the blue and they aren't as thick (I really wish that REAL Stands had made a larger diameter stand as their stands were the absolute best, here's hoping they'll come back with a vengence!)

Lt. Clutch wrote:
A toy store called Amok Time used to produce some nice plastic stands that could fit up to three figures. They were cast in gray plastic, were sort of triangular, interlocked nicely with each other, and were suitable for various scales. I would use them on Super Powers along with early DC Direct stuff. They stopped making them years ago, and I have yet to see any old stock for sale anywhere online.

I thought I was the only one who remembered/had those. I bought 150 (I think it was) way back when (got them from an ad in Toy Shop in the late 80s or early 90s). Had planned to use them for my vintage Star Wars collection when I re-did my display (which never happened) but most ended up with BTAS, Total Justice and Playmates Trek figures. Not sure where the bulk of the unused ones are, but my Trek figures are still on display in my old room at my folks' place and I just took down my Total Justice/JLA stuff to make room for more DCUC (they're going back up once I organize things a bit more). I liked the stands because they sort-of interlocked in different ways and that they had three pegs and were made of a more flexible plastic (nylon?) that wasn't prone to breakage like ProTech stands are. Actually have a few of the Mattel comic Batman figures and some DCSH poster tacked to them right now... I'll try to take pics later if anyone wants to see them. Amok Time still exists, I wonder if they still have the molds and, if so, what it would take to get a new run made?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:37 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I use Protech figure stands. They are far better than the Mattel ones.

They are about halfway down the page. For JLU you will want to buy the small peg.

http://www.protechproductsinc.com/starwars.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:36 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Jim_Abell wrote:
Lt. Clutch wrote:

I thought I was the only one who remembered/had those. I bought 150 (I think it was) way back when (got them from an ad in Toy Shop in the late 80s or early 90s). Had planned to use them for my vintage Star Wars collection when I re-did my display (which never happened) but most ended up with BTAS, Total Justice and Playmates Trek figures. Not sure where the bulk of the unused ones are, but my Trek figures are still on display in my old room at my folks' place and I just took down my Total Justice/JLA stuff to make room for more DCUC (they're going back up once I organize things a bit more). I liked the stands because they sort-of interlocked in different ways and that they had three pegs and were made of a more flexible plastic (nylon?) that wasn't prone to breakage like ProTech stands are. Actually have a few of the Mattel comic Batman figures and some DCSH poster tacked to them right now... I'll try to take pics later if anyone wants to see them. Amok Time still exists, I wonder if they still have the molds and, if so, what it would take to get a new run made?....

Do post pics when you can, Jim. I'm sure most of the guys here haven't seen these. The plastic quality was okay, yeah. Sometimes, a peg or two would be larger than the others so I would trim them down for a figure to fit. They also had a brick-like texture sculpted on them with smooth borders. That was a cool touch. But the interlocking feature was the best! I would set up a bunch of DC Direct guys inside an acrylic display case and hang it on my wall. The figures looked great standing in a group shot, side-by-side or with a third character in the background. Lots of room to pose them with these stands. I keep checking Amok Time's site hoping they will bring 'em back, too. If they kept the molds, maybe we could start a petition of some sorts?