Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Superman/Doomsday figures
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:08 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I picked up mine today at lunch. These are the first DC Direct figures I've bought at full price since about 1999, so that deserves a post, I think. Superman and Luthor/Robot were $8.99. Doomsday was $9.99. My impressions:

Superman: The sculpt is a bit ... odd. These figures have very narrow crotches, making them look a bit strange. Superman has two semi-open hands, facing each other. His cape is furled on each side, making it very narrow, but that's not too bad. The worst part is they did an excellent job of capturing the animated face in plastic, which means it's horrifically ugly, just as Superman was in the movie. I don't know about you, but that was the single worst element of the movie for me -- it was terribly distracting.

Doomsday: Nice sculpting here, and some nice features. The arms and neck are ball-jointed. Not much range of motion on either, because of the sculpt, but it's a nice touch. One of the legs on mine is frozen. I'll pop him in the freezer when I get home.

Luthor/Robot: This pack is the big, big winner, based on price point alone. Two nice figures for $9? I'm planning to buy a couple more, I think, for customs and to build a Fortress robot team. Luthor is in a white suit, with a rubber jacket that's glued in place. Five POA. I'm thinking this will be a nice base for some suited customs, particularly since the white plastic/rubber will take dye quite well, I think (a technique I've been trying with some nice results). The robot (I can't help but think of him as Kelex) also offers 5 POA, but with one cool alternative -- His head doesn't move, but he's ball-jointed at mid-torso.

Each figure comes with a translucent red "S" stand that's got the letter painted in yellow. And yes, the Luthor/Robot package has two.

Anyway, these will not be replacing my JLU figures, but they'll make a nice sort of Elseworlds addition to the shelf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:57 pm 
Totally Ripped ABS!!!

I saw these at the comic book shop today and was not impressed. The paint job was terribly sloppy on most of the figures, the Blue Suit Superman was hideous. Solar Suit Superman was kind of cool, but these figures are so tiny, they're hardly worth $10. They seem smaller than JLU, Doomsday was pretty cool, but no cooler than the one I alread have(no bigger either, in fact I think he is smaller). Not worth buying in my opinion, but I'm short on cash anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:56 pm 
Prototype

I haven't had a chance to look for these yet but I'll be getting them. I'd like Lois and Toyman figures as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:13 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I don't have a comic shop that will carry these, or any other place, so if the paint apps are bad i don't want to get them online, DCD sucks!!!
:x

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:44 pm 
serves the Otter

comparison pix here www.clik.to/JLU by Luthor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:17 pm 
Those of you who like JLU might wanna check these out. More pics here...

http://xsorbit29.com/users5/dooshbagboa ... 11.new#new

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:54 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

The nice thing about having the owner of the best DCD shop in Manila live in the same neighborhood as mine is that I don't need to drive through hellish traffic to get to the good stuff :) Met him earlier today at our neighborhood Pancake House and got these. Thanks Felix!

Package size comparison with JLU:

Will post photos of them loose next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:11 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
again i hate DCD!!! but only because they don't have these available for mass retail,

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:58 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

I just set them loose and took some comparison shots...

The Cast

Comparison shots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:09 pm 
5" Scale

hmmmm....the robot might work for a GL Stel custom.

I hope my comic book shop has these in already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:05 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

Luthor also looks like it can serve as a good custom base for some DCAU civilians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:45 pm 
Tis' but a pup

great pics Pete...heres mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:13 am 
Collector Inspector

vader wrote:

Hmm...the legs look a wee bit longer. I wonder if they could be transplanted onto a JLU Supes to make him closer to the right size...or at least as tall as Bats.

Post subject: Re: Superman/Doomsday figures
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:20 am 
Kool Moe Dee

Bryan Long wrote:

Superman: The sculpt is a bit ... odd. These figures have very narrow crotches, making them look a bit strange.

That's wang crotch, a lot of DCD figures have it. It makes it look like their junk is hanging out.

The two Superman figures suck and blow but the the other three aren't too bad, although I'm quite pleased with the Doomsday I already have. I might pick up Luthor and robot though.

It's too bad that DCD won't be making JLU scaled figures for New Frontier or we could have finally gotten a JLU scaled Hal Jordan.

Actually maybe Mattel can do him that way, they have the license...

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:06 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I think the body on the Lex figure would make a great base for an Alfred custom. Especially as the old Hasbro one is quite hard to find now, and is too tall for JLU. I might get one just for that reason.