Mattel Brands Showcases Best-in-Class Partnerships across an Industry-Leading Portfolio of Boys and Girls Brands at 2010 Licensing International Show
New Girls Franchise "Monster High" is Unveiled with Key Partnerships across Multiple Categories including Apparel & Accessories, Publishing, Live-Action Entertainment and More
LAS VEGAS, Jun 07, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Today at the 2010 Licensing International Show, Mattel, Inc., the world’s leading toy company, unveils its multi-category line-up of best-in-class partners with new apparel and footwear alliances, as well as global personal care collections, products that inspire an active lifestyle and original branded play experiences for boys and girls of all ages.
For the first time in company history, Mattel will roll out a new intellectual property, Monster High(TM), across a number of diverse consumer products categories simultaneously. This new franchise targeting teen and tween girls brings together the hip teenage descendants of the world’s most famous monsters to brave the trials and tribulations of high school. Monster High(TM) reaches girls via multiple touch points through strategic partnerships year-one with Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, best-selling author Lisi Harrison, Universal Pictures, Justice(R) and Party City.
"Mattel is a leader in providing meaningful brand experiences that translate into innovative and successful cross-brand partnerships," said Neil Friedman, President, Mattel Brands. "Our ability to secure best-in-class category experts to introduce teens and tween to the Monster High property is a testament to our brand management expertise and reinforces our long-standing legacy as one of the world’s premier licensing partners."
Across its larger portfolio of entertainment brands, Mattel also continues its strategic licensing agreements with licensors of many popular kids’ properties, including Disney, Warner Bros., World Wrestling Entertainment(R) and HIT Entertainment.
In 2010, Mattel Brands announces licensing agreements with new partners including:
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers: Fitting in is out and freaky is about to get fabulous! Mattel and Little, Brown Books for Young Readers have entered into a multi-year, multi-book global partnership to publish a series of books written by #1 New York Times best-selling young adult author Lisi Harrison. Best known for her hit tween series "The Clique" and "Alphas," Harrison will release one to two books each year. Monster High, the first book in the series, goes on sale September 2010.
Apparel, Footwear and Accessories
- SKECHERS: It’s easy to complete the perfect head-to-toe look in a pair of fashionable new Barbie(TM) by SKECHERS footwear. The collection infuses iconic Barbie(TM) imagery with high-quality SKECHERS designs that girls love. From an assortment of nine different styles, girls can find their favorite trendy fleece boots, athletic sneakers, Mary Janes, wedges and more! (available Fall/Winter 2010)
- Harveys Original Seatbeltbags: Barbie(R) introduces a new partnership with Harveys Original Seatbeltbags. This line of seatbeltbags combines Harveys signature seatbelt design with iconic Barbie(TM) style. Available at department stores and specialty boutiques nationwide as well as Harveys retail stores and seatbeltbags.com. (available 2011)
- Fast Forward: Boys will race back to school with a new line of Hot Wheels(TM) bags and backpacks. Featuring motion-patented technology with light-up features, boys will look forward to the first day of school. (available Fall 2010)
- C-Life: Hot Wheels(R) and C-Life keep men in style with a new line of vintage t-shirts. The line features the iconic images, colors and designs which Hot Wheels(R) is known. (available now)
- Dr. Scholl’s: Barbie(R) and Original Dr. Scholl’s(R) – join forces to offer a limited edition collection of 5 original exercise sandals featuring iconic Barbie (TM) images. (available now)
- Justice(R): Mattel joins forces with Justice, the largest premier tween specialty retailer in the world, to launch a full line of back-to-school apparel for tweens. Justice has developed an edgy cool line of clothing featuring Monster High’s signature Skullette on tops, bottoms, sleepwear, cosmetics and accessories. In addition, Justice will support an integrated marketing campaign featuring Monster High(TM) webisodes on the Tween Network in-store media screens, brand ads, and products in the Justice catazine and on the company’s website. (available July 2010)
- High IntenCity: Mattel and High IntenCity team up for the first time ever to introduce a line of drop dead gorgeous jewelry & hair accessories inspired by Monster High(TM). High IntenCity, a leader in the girls’ accessories industry, has designed accessory items that mix Monster High’s signature Skullette and edgy style with softer lace, bow and charm accents. (available Fall 2010)
- Accessory Innovations: Accessory Innovations, a recognized leader in the accessories industry, has partnered with Mattel on their new scary cool Monster High(TM) franchise.Accessory Innovations will offer a complete collection of tween fashion handbags. The handbag line, designed to play up the monster chic style uniquely distinct to the Monster High(TM) brand, includes clutches, totes, messenger and cross body bags. (available Fall 2010)
- Ashko Group: Mattel and Ashko have come together to introduce a new line of Monster High(TM) inspired hosiery and fashion footwear for tween girls. The collection includes everything from socks, knee highs and leg warmers to sandals, jellies and flip flops, giving girls a variety of ways to show off their killer style. (available Fall 2010)
- ACI International: Continuing a successful long standing partnership, Mattel and ACI International have come together once again to create Monster High(TM) slippers for tween Girls. Girls can choose from two unique styles, each featuring the brand’s signature Skullette icon. (available this Fall 2010)
- Accu-Length: Barbie(R) and Hot Wheels(R) team up with Accu-Length to offer the ultimate golf collection for "growing" girls and boys. Utilizing innovative, patented "spacer" technology, Accu-Length clubs make it fun and easy for kids to experience the game of golf. The Barbie(TM) pink-inspired collection speaks to the active fashionista in each of us. Fathers and sons can spend time together with the Hot Wheels(TM) line, bringing speed, power and performance to golf. (available August 2010)
- Dynacraft: Encouraging girls to be active, Barbie(R) partners with Dynacraft to offer a fun and fabulous line of sporting goods for scooting and riding in style. Barbie(TM) Bikes and scooters available this summer provides a new fun way to play outdoors. Barbie(TM) Bikes and scooters also come with a mini (Barbie(R)-sized) version so girls can take Barbie(R) dolls along for the ride. (available now)
- becker & mayer! Books: In celebration of the 50th birthday of Ken(R), Barbie(R) and becker & mayer! Books present the Ken(R) 50th anniversary book I â(TM)¥Ken(TM): My Life as the Ultimate Boyfriend. This humorous book is written from the perspective of Ken(R) and provides insider details on his 50 year on-and-off relationship with Barbie(R) and tips on how to be the ‘ultimate’ boyfriend for every occasion. (available March 2011)
- Evite: This year, boys and girls of all ages can throw the ultimate party and invite all their family and friends with new Barbie (TM) and Hot Wheels(R) themed invitations from Evite. For birthday boys, Hot Wheels(R) brings cool cars and flame-inspired graphics to life in two categories; Birthday for Kids and Birthday for Adults. Featuring the very best of Barbie(TM) style, these fashionable Evites are available in four categories; Birthday for Kids, Kids Corner, Bachelorette Parties and Girls Night Out. (available now)
- Vandor: Barbie(R) partners with Vandor to bring a unique collection of gifts and collectables celebrating the 50th anniversary of Ken(R). Specialty items vary from travel mugs to notebooks and key chains. (available January 2011)
- Party City(R)/ Amscan: Halloween will be extra frightastic this year with the beastly student body of Monster High(TM) on the loose. Amscan and Mattel expand their partnership, beyond their Barbie(TM) and Hot Wheels(TM) party collections, to introduce an exclusive line of Monster High(TM) costumes for Party City. Tween girls can bring Frankie Stein(TM), Clawdeen Wolf(TM) and Draculaura(TM) to life with costumes that look just like the character, complete with a wig. (available Halloween 2010 exclusively at Party City)
Health / Personal Care
- Nexcare(TM): Hot Wheels(R) and Nexcare(TM) bring fast relief for cuts and scrapes with Hot Wheels(TM) waterproof tattoo bandages. Incorporating stylish Hot Wheels(TM) designs ensures that boys of all ages are protected with power and performance. (available now)
- Dr. Fresh: Hot Wheels(R) expands its partnership with Dr. Fresh to offer a new light-up timer tooth brush. Educating boys in proper brushing habits, each toothbrush lights up for 60 seconds when you push on the bottom of the brush. Featuring a molded Hot Wheels(R) car, brushing your teeth was never this fun. (available now)
- Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc.: The world’s premier consumer healthcare company is partnering with the world’s most iconic doll to encourage healthy habits for girls. This September, the makers of LISTERINE(R) and REACH(R) will introduce Barbie(TM) themed oral care products. This is just the beginning of a partnership that will make good oral care more fun and fashionable than ever before. (available September 2010)
- Digital Blue: Barbie(R) has partnered with Digital Blue(TM) to bring style to consumer electronics. The new line is designed for girls ages 4-7 years old and includes a portable boom box with CD player, alarm clock radio, Karaoke Machine and a Sing A Long player. Audio devices have never looked so fabulous. (available in Fall 2010 with more items to launch in Spring of 2011)
- Neat-Oh: Hot Wheels(R) teams up with Neat-Oh to introduce a new line of portable play experiences — Hot Wheels(TM) ZipBin(R) Products. Hot Wheels(TM). ZipBin(R) Products transform from play mats to carrying cases, giving kids a fun and convenient way to play with and store their Hot Wheels(R) cars. (available June 2010)
- Russ Berrie: Girls can now play with Barbie(R) doll and her pets through a new partnership with Russ Berrie. Introducing Sequin(TM) Blissa(TM), and Lacey(R) — three lovable, huggable plush animals which come with their own assortment of fashions and stylish carriers. Girls will now be able to carry their animal friends around just like Barbie(R). (available Fall 2010)
- Enterplay: Game on! Hot Wheels(R) and Enterplay offer a fun and exciting collection of trading cards and fast-paced games. The Hot Wheels(TM) Trading Card Game and the FunTracks(TM) Card Game feature fun facts and fan trivia, perfect for collecting. And with FunTats(R) Decals, you can customize yourself, your car, or just about anything! (available now)
- U & Me Marketing: Hot Wheels(R) teams up with U & Me to introduce a first-ever juice pouch beverage. Featuring 100% natural flavored juice and Hot Wheels(TM) imagery, boys are able to race to the finish line like never before. (available September 2010)
About Mattel, Inc.
Mattel, Inc., (NASDAQ: MAT) (www.mattel.com) is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of toys and family products. The Mattel family is comprised of such best-selling brands as Barbie(R), the most popular fashion doll ever introduced, Hot Wheels(R), Matchbox(R), American Girl(R), Radica(R) and Tyco R/C(R), as well as Fisher-Price(R) brands, including Little People(R), Power Wheels(R) and a wide array of entertainment-inspired toy lines. In 2010, Mattel was named as one of FORT
UNE Magazine’s "100 Best Companies to Work For" for the third year in a row, and was ranked among Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s "100 Best Corporate Citizens." Mattel also is recognized among the "World’s Most Ethical Companies." With worldwide headquarters in El Segundo, Calif., Mattel employs approximately 27,000 people in 43 countries and territories and sells products in more than 150 nations. At Mattel, we are "Creating the Future of Play."
BARBIE, HOT WHEELS, MONSTER HIGH and associated trademarks and trade dress are owned by, and used under license from, Mattel, Inc. © 2010 Mattel, Inc. All Rights Reserved.