Short Tale of a Geeky Coincidence
April 27, 2009

I don’t collect Mattel’s DCUC line but there have been some figures that I’ve wanted to pick up just because they’re so dang cool. Back when I saw wave 6 for the first time I grabbed the Hawkman, stared at it for a while and then reluctantly put it back in fear of the "slippery slope." Last week I was kicking myself since I now wanted the figure for a little project I’m working on. Of course, none of my local stores still had it. Then this past weekend I went away for a little motorcycle trip. On the way out I stopped at a Walmart in Globe, AZ. I was thrilled to find Hawkman.

Hawkman rode in my saddle bag the rest of the way to the bed and breakfast my buddies booked for the weekend. Although they had chosen a small cottage in the back of The Olney House we were upgraded to the main house’s "Honeymoon Suite." (No comments from the peanut gallery about 3 guys sharing the "Honeymoon Suite," thank you very much.)

I walked upstairs to the room and the first thing I noticed was this tobacco tin sitting on the night table. If you’re reading this blog chances are good I don’t have to explain this but, just in case, "Carter Hall" is the alter-ego of Hawkman. I have no idea how common Carter Hall pipe tobacco is but I got a good chuckle seeing it decorating our room. I just inquired with the company that still makes this brand where the name came from but the person I spoke with had no idea. Perhaps a mistake was made last time Khufu was reincarnated?

Our gracious hosts, Chris and Deborah Gibbs, bought the Olney House after they both retired from the Air Force. Air Force, huh? Chris was an engineer. Didn’t have the guts to ask whether he ever experimented with Nth Metal technology.

Along for the trip was my comics colorist pal Brian Miller. He recalled last coloring Hawkman for JSA #19.

And so to close, here is an image of Golden Age Hawkman, Carter Hall, . . . smoking a pipe. At least we know what tobacco he’s using.

Danny "CantinaDan" Neumann
Action figure anthropologist, Professor Cantina Dan Neumann has been a scholastic contributor to the online community studying the complex world of parumplasticus populus {little plastic people} since the turn of this millenium. His primary focus is the visual cataloging of species exhibits through photo-journalism.
Read other articles by Danny "CantinaDan" Neumann.

• Chip Cataldo says:

Okay, that’s pretty effin’ awesome!!!

Seriously, how bizarre is that?

Peace,

Chip

• Oddjob says:

Right after I bought my Aquaman figure I ate some fish.

• texgnome1 says:

Aww… how romantic. Sorry – you knew someone was going there. :D

But that’s pretty funny Dan lol. Glad you found that figure – it’s one I’m glad I haven’t been able to find. As you said, slippery slope. Hoping I never see Mr Terrific at retail near me.

• The Superfly says:

I want that Carter Hall tobacco tin!

lol honeymoon suite….

• Captain Cold says:

Next you’ll be seeing Superman eating a Clark Bar… Flash and Zoom on a camera… hehehe.

Seriously though, this is so cool! Maybe you should’ve bought the tin as well! Always fun when Geekhood and reality collide!

I remember when I bought the original DC Direct Green Lantern Battery Prop with Ring back in 2003 (or thereabout) while on a trip to Hong Kong. I had to take the box as carry-on luggage. I was thinking if airport security would routinely ask me “Sir, are you carrying any weapons on board.” I would reply “Only the most powerful weapon in the known universe!”

• Cantina-Dan says:

LOL, nice!

Reminds me of getting on a plane carrying a Master Replica’s lightsaber. All the guards gathered around to “inspect” it!

• H-Balm says:

Nice post!

Very fun.

Just imagine the bad times that would have ensued if you had chosen a villain!

• Lt. Clutch says:

Great story, Dan. Of all the Halls in the world, figures it would be Carter’s. Pipe smoking was common among the alter egos of more refined Golden Age characters, so it does make a perfect kind of sense.